The Research Associate in Fermentation Development will be responsible for providing support activities in the fermentation and process development areas. Specifically, the person in this position will contribute to the development of production process and strain development strategies through the operation of lab-scale bioreactors to quantitatively characterize biocatalysts for the production of renewable chemicals. The person will work closely with engineering, molecular biology and analytical teams to increase the yield and productivity of the biocatalysts. The scientist will promote a strong health, safety and environment culture on site and within the team.
- Prepare and maintain microbial stock cultures and inocula.
- Operate and maintain lab-scale fermentors.
- Process monitoring and control.
- Collect and process samples for analytes of interest.
- Analyze and report data to enable appropriate interpretation and follow up experiments.
- Identify and report opportunities for improvement and assist to implement as needed.
- Proactively communicate information through appropriate verbal and written means and actively participate in meetings.
- Understand and follow department and corporate guidelines, compliance and safety rules and procedures related to duties.
- Perform other reasonably related duties not expressly written in this job description as may be assigned from time to time.
- B.S. in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering, Microbiology, or Biochemistry/Molecular Biology.
- Competent in benchtop microbiology, aseptic technique, plating, transfer & culture maintenance.
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate experimental needs.
- Ability to lift approximately 10-20 kg routinely.
- Eligibility to work in the US (no visa sponsorship/transfer).
- Industrial microbiology experience, including process development for bacterial/yeast processes.
- Working knowledge of lab-scale fermenter operation.
- Familiar with HPLC analysis.
- Strong computer and analytical skills, statistical analysis and reporting experience.